The Higher Education and Legislative Review Directorate:
- undertakes statutory reviews of legislation in the education and training sectors at the direction of the Minister for Education or the Minister for Training and Workforce Development
- prepares drafting instructions for new and amending Acts and regulations which govern the education and training sectors and assists the relevant Minister during Cabinet and Parliamentary consideration of these
- provides administrative and strategic support to the Western Australian Higher Education Council
- contributes to the development of state and national policy on higher education and implements the state's higher education strategy
- oversees the processes for approval of university statutes and appointments by the Governor to university governing bodies
- liaises with the universities and provides support to the Minister in the administration of the universities' Acts of establishment.
In 2009-10 the Directorate reviewed the Western Australian College of Teaching Act 2004. The report of the review is available here.
In 2012-13 the Directorate supported the review of 'Future Directions for the Role of the State in Higher Education' by a panel led by Emeritus Professor Margaret Seares. The final report is available here.
2/04/2014 11:18 AM